Monday, July 6, 2009

Independence Weekend


Today’s Journal Juice from Sark felt like a perfect homecoming from a weekend away in Bremerton – “Be still and let the beauty come…” I did a pretty good job of practicing stillness in one shape or another this weekend while visiting my friend Kathleen’s boyfriend’s (James) “lake home” in Bremerton (personal thank you to KS for encouraging me to go and being such a lovely hostess!) From the moment I walked onto the ferry and found a place to exercise my inner sun goddess, I knew it was going to be a good weekend.

(Side note: I was excited to see what Bremerton was like – a couple local friends looked slightly confused when I told them this – So quick background: My parents lived in Bremerton about 30 or so years ago when my dad was in the Navy. Much I’m sure has changed in the town since then, but I was still excited to visit a place where there lives some kind of family history.)

Upon arriving at the lake home, I was immediately brought back to the many fun summers I spent visiting the Klein family cabin in Cass Lake, MN. Needless to say, I was excited to find my new home for the weekend – a reclined patio chair – and change into my weekend wardrobe – my bikini – and just relax. It was fun to watch the tide slowly come in as the afternoon turned to evening.

I woke up the next day excited to head out on a run back into the city before the temperatures heated up (which they did!!) While traveling, I’m constantly amazed by what I find or learn while taking off on foot for a run. No matter where you’re going, pack your running shoes. You never know when you’ll have a couple free hours to squeeze in an exploration run or a workout.

Back in my weekend wardrobe, sunscreen and book in tow, I spent a few too many hours lounging in the sun. But it was exactly what I wanted to do. Everyone eventually migrated over to the deck area as the grandest 4th of July feast I’ve ever seen was prepared. After dinner, my dessert stomach opened up for a second round of yummy sweets – S’mores… (aw yes!) As dusk fell we found ourselves in an amphitheater of mini firework shows around the waterfront. I even had an opportunity to light a few little fireworks myself!

By the end of my stay in Bremerton, I discovered the following beautiful things:
1. My love for living near the water. If a cheap plot of land opens up on Lake Washington, I’d move in a heartbeat.
2. Seashells and sea glass. Oh my goodness, I came home with the most glorious collection of new shells and colorful sea glass to add to my little dishes around my place.
3. S’mores galore. This dessert can only be enjoyed to its fullest when prepared with by a campfire. Why aren’t there more campfires in the city?
4. Good friends and their good family. I was amazed by how wonderfully friendly James and his family/friends were all weekend. It’s good to expand your circle of people every once in a while.

*Kathleen and I, all sunshined and ready to cook!

*Sea glass in a little dish on my desk

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a perfect weekend. I'm glad you got to get away-even just from our daily lives getaways can be rejuvinating. I, myself, am looking forward to being done with summer school so I can escape a bit. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a nice weekend - if only we could all find a cheap plot of land on Lake Washington. It's cheaper than it was a year or two ago, but still pretty pricey.

    ReplyDelete