Friday, April 17, 2009

Girls on the Run


This afternoon I signed myself up for something I've been wanting to do for years - "Girls on the Run" - a curriculum based, experiential learning program that utilizes the power of running to provide 3rd-5th grade girls to: Celebrate their bodies, Honor their voices, Recognize their gifts and, Activate their power! In a nutshell, I'm going to be participating in a 10wk program that guides and trains girls together to walk or run the non-competitive New Balance Girls on the Run 5k event during the beginning of June.

I can't tell you how much I love this age group, thinking back to my "Girl Power" days in high school. (Kat, I believed you were a lucky volunteer for this program.) Needless to say, it is so important for girls this age to be surrounded by positive female role models. The thought of going back to 5th grade gives be heartburn. I can only imagine the multitude of issues young girls today are dealing with - we certainly didn't have Britney/Paris/Lindsey in 1992 (did we?)

The first training meeting takes place on 4/27, and I'll be sure to share more thereafter.



2 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea/program Linz! You will be a great mentor for these girls. It really is a critical age group. Subbing in the schools around here makes me realize how tough kids have to be to make it to graduation. Developing a positive self image can help so much! I wish I could do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. Good for you, Linds.

    ReplyDelete